Our plans for the future
Vision and Strategy
An Ambitious PlanTo be the healthiest, most sustainable, inclusive and growing economy in the UK.
- Sustainable - Delivering clean growth, becoming carbon neutral, and creating sustainable cities, towns, and places for people to live and work.
- Inclusive - Enabling all residents to live healthy and successful lives, and tackling barriers that may prevent them from doing so - particularly the fundamental inequalities that people face.
- Healthy - Improving the health of residents whilst narrowing the gap between the experience of the richest and the poorest.
- Growing Economy – Increasing the incomes of everyone in Cheshire and Warrington by utilising its economic strengths to increase productivity and build on the area’s status as the second fastest growing economy in the country. Further evidence on the Cheshire and Warrington economy is available in our recent consultations on our economic strategy and our ongoing work on a plan to drive economic recovery from the pandemic.
Cheshire and Warrington has, for many years, been one of the fastest growing economies in the country
Cheshire and Warrington Delivery Plan
Our Delivery Plan is focused on enabling our vision for Cheshire and Warrington to be the most healthy, sustainable, inclusive and growing economy in the UK, and thereby making levelling up a reality. This is a tactical plan aligned to our strategy and aims to recognise the changing context within which we all live.
Local Industrial Strategy
We finalised a Local Industrial Strategy during 2019/20. The development of the strategy was evidence-led with extensive collection and analysis of a range of economic data. The insights drawn from the data show that the Cheshire and Warrington economy remains strong, but that there are potential challenges to be addressed in achieving our long-term economic objectives. The Local Industrial Strategy aims to deliver sustainable economic growth and in doing so creating a more productive, resilient and inclusive economy.
Strategic Economic Plan
We published a refreshed Strategic Economic Plan in July 2017, which confirmed the revised growth ambition shared across the Cheshire and Warrington sub-region: to grow our economy’s GVA to £50 billion per annum by 2040. The plan is intended to be a high-level, strategic road map to achieving our growth ambition. The strategy has been designed to be flexible and provide a broad framework within which different areas and groups can align their activities.
The Strategic Economic Plan sets out the key opportunities that will drive our growth ambitions:
- The world class science, technology and innovation assets within the Cheshire Science Corridor
- The once-in-a-generation opportunity that HS2 will bring to the Constellation Partnership area and wider region
- The unique cross-border opportunities within the Mersey Dee Economic Axis, and the potential to create Warrington New City
To help reach the goals of the Strategic Economic Plan and Local Industrial Strategy, a range of supporting strategies and documents were created, providing a framework for their specific area, to help us are supporting strategies that will help Cheshire and Warrington to be the UK’s most sustainable, inclusive, healthy, and growing economy.