English for Speakers of Other Languages - Entry Level 1
About this course
A key aim for Functional Skills English specifications is that they should enable the student to develop confidence and fluency in, and a positive attitude towards, English. Students should be able to demonstrate their competence in English by using it in real world situations as well as demonstrating a sound grasp of basic English knowledge and skills.
Reading, Listening and Communicating
This should include simple narratives, information and instructions, and short statements, explanations, discussions and questions and exchanges.
- Say the names of the letters in the alphabet
- Identify and extract the main information from short statements and explanations.
- Follow single-step instructions, asking for them to be repeated if necessary
- Make requests and ask straightforward questions using appropriate terms and registers
- Respond to questions about specific information
- Make clear statements about basic information and communicate feelings and opinions on straightforward topics
- Understand and participate in simple discussions or exchanges with another person about a straightforward topic.
This should include short, simple texts that inform, describe and narrate.
- Read correctly words designated for Entry Level 1
- Read simple sentences containing one clause
- Understand a short piece of text on a simple subject
This should include short simple texts such as messages and notes.
Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar
- Punctuate simple sentenced with a capital letter and a full stop
- Use a capital letter for the personal pronoun 'I' and he first letter of proper nouns
- User lower-case letters when there is no reason to use capital letters
- Write letters of the alphabet in sequence and in both upper and lower case
- Spell correctly words designated for Entry Level 1
- Communicate information in words, phrases and simple sentences.
Circa 2 weeks
Purpose for Entry levels
A qualification to demonstrate the ability at an appropriate level to read, write, speak, listen and communicate in English, and to apply this knowledge and these skills in familiar situations.
Learning aims and outcomes at entry level
Qualifications at these levels indicate that students should be able to speak, listen, communicate, read and write with increasing clarity, accuracy and effectiveness at each level. They should be able to:
- Listen, understand and respond to verbal communication in a range of familiar contexts;
- Acquire an understanding of everyday words and their uses and effects, and apply this understanding in different contexts;
- Read with accuracy straightforward texts encountered in everyday life and work, and develop confidence to read more widely;
- Write straightforward texts and documents with clarity and effectiveness, and demonstrate a sound grasp of spelling, punctuation and grammar. Students should, with some direction and guidance, be able to apply these functional skills to informal and some formal contexts, in familiar situations.
The course cost is £724 per delegate
The course cost with Accelerate grant is £434 per delegate